The WRA evolved through the merging of the Water Supply Alliance (WSA) and the Sewage Treatment and Pump Stations (STaPS) Program. The alliance aims to improve and expand Melbourne's water storage system and wastewater treatment system. It comprises of over 100 individual capital projects across multiple sites in Melbourne. Projects range in size from $1 million to $60 million each. Most projects involve multiple, complex stakeholder interfaces, including adjacent works being undertaken by other contractors at the Eastern and Western Treatment Plants.
Heading & Associates were engaged to provide surveying services for many projects, some of the major ones below:
- Brooklyn, Preston and Yarra Glen pump station upgrades.
- M41 Pipeline - Northcote and Fitzroy: replacement and realignment of a 600m, 80-year-old water main.
- M9 Pipeline - Preston to North Essendon: construction of a 10.5km large-bore pipeline.
- Eastern Treatment Plant - grit and screening plant upgrade.
- Patterson River Tidal Gates - Replace and refurbish the 30-year-old tidal gates critical to protecting the Patterson Lakes community from flooding.
- Western Treatment Plant - installation of new covers over lagoons to control odour.
- Wet Weather Project - construction of 3.8km of channels and structures.
- Winneke Reservoir - delivery of a new pump station, sludge handling facility; and upgrades to filters and clarifiers.
- Toorourrong Reservoir: embankment and spillway work – increasing the capacity of existing spillway.